Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mother's Day and Scotty's Graduation

One happening I didn't mention in my last post was Mother's Day! Adam and I met my family for lunch at The Sunshine Factory in Plymouth and spent the afternoon with everyone at my parent's house afterwards. It was such a great day celebrating my wonderful mama :) I am so blessed to have my mom in my life. She's my constant supporter and biggest fan; she's beautiful inside and out. She's passionate, funny and makes the best manicotti around ;) Not only am I blessed to have her, but I'm now lucky enough to have an amazing mother-in-law. Julie has welcomed me into their family with open arms and I'm so grateful for that. She's such a fun-spirited, easy going and caring woman. Adam and I are so lucky to have such Godly mothers and grandmothers in our lives. We have countless examples of commitment, faith and love to learn from.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." Washington Irvine




Julie, me, Mom


This past weekend we headed up to Duluth for my little brother's graduation from the University of Minnesota Duluth! We went up Friday and stayed the night at my grandparent's cabin in Wright, MN, which is only a half hour south of Duluth. On the way up, Adam spotted a black bear on the side of the road! It was so incredible to see. I was obviously aware that bears live in Minnesota, but it's the first that I've ever seen in the wild. We spent the night with my grandparents playing the card game Wizard, watching the Twins game and catching up. It was so great spending time with them. Saturday morning we casually ate breakfast, got ready and then took off to Duluth. Adam had never been to Duluth, so it was fun seeing his reaction as we came into the city from high up on the bluff, looking down to the harbor :) It's' a very beautiful place (not in the dead of winter) and we loved having a sunny day to explore before the ceremony. We met up with my parents and brother a few hours later at Little Angie's Cantina. We had a couple drinks and soaked up the perfect day. The city was so busy! The University of Minnesota Duluth had an early ceremony and late ceremony, so there were tons of people milling about. I was told that restaurants near the graduation stadium had been booked solid for three weeks leading up to that day. We took so many pretty pictures near Lake Superior and the surrounding docks, landing and bridges. We struck up a conversation with a few local fishermen that were on the dock and learned some history about the area. The dock had been their backyard for 52 years and they proudly showed us pictures of their biggest catches to date. It's always those kind of interactions that stick with me :) My grandparents and cousin, Ashley, joined us as the ceremony was starting and we headed inside. It hit me as we were walking to our seats that it had been two whole years since Adam and I graduated. Crazy! I still remember our day like it was just yesterday. Scotty's ceremony went very smooth and was kicked off by a wise-cracker student speaker. He had officially graduated last December and is a few months into his career, but it was still so cool seeing him walk across the stage. Our little Scotty was now an adult. A college graduate. Adam and I are so proud of him. We all went to Texas Roadhouse afterwards to continue the celebrating and toast to the new graduate! It's great that we could all spend time together and celebrate his huge accomplishment.

1999 vs. 2014









Grandma and Grandpa Metcalfe


Sunday driving range with this cute guy

No comments:

Post a Comment