Wednesday, February 19, 2014

6 Months

I can't believe six months have already gone by since the wedding! Where does time go? We have done so many fun things in these past six months, but I wanted to simply reflect on our daily lives as a newly married couple. I have a feeling it's posts like this that will make me laugh a few years down the road when we have a couple kids and chaos fills our home. Our lives are simple now. We jokingly call ourselves 'free birds', but it's the truth. We have the freedom to do whatever, whenever we want and are loving every minute of it. We got home from work/school one night and both were looking around for what to make for dinner and we decided to go get Chipotle. We went to get it and then decided to spend most of the night walking around the mall sightseeing and shopping! Yes, this isn't the most thrilling example of spontaneity, but it's the idea behind it. We've done a lot of spontaneous and fun things these past 6 months and that's one thing I love about Adam. He adventures and explores with me. One random Saturday afternoon we found Snuffy's Malt Shop by Lake Minnetonka. Seriously, it might have been the best burger I've ever had! As spontaneous as we have been, we have also settled into somewhat of a  'norm'. It usually consists of coming home around 5:30 or so, making dinner, Adam studying at the table , me on the couch with my computer, us working out in our apartment complex gym around 9 and then turning in. It comforting and something I have come to love. I love that it's 'our' schedule, I love that even though it may not be the most exciting thing, it's our thing.

I often find myself looking around our apartment, at Adam studying at the table, and remembering how I yearned for this normalcy a year ago. We were constantly driving back and forth to each others places to see one another, never really having a spot to call our own. It's a humbling reminder that good things do indeed come to those who wait, but its also important to enjoy each stage that you're at. Whether it's buying a house, a bigger car or having more 'things', it's all going to happen in it's own time. I want to slow down (I'm working on that) and remember times like this, in our one bedroom apartment, one car, no kids or pets and only a few pieces of furniture to our name. Most importantly, however, is that I want to remember how incredibly loved and complete I feel. Filling your cup is an example we heard during on of our pre-marital meetings with our pastor. Often stressful things in your daily life will slowly empty your cup. A stressful coworker, a microwave that breaks down, getting caught in bad traffic or spilling on your favorite shirt. Those kinds of things. Filing your cup is whatever brings you back to being happy, content and fulfilled. I always want my cup to be filled by my faith, family and friends. When you boil life down, that's all that really matters in my opinion. If your happiness stems from anything else, I can assure you it will be short-lived. A shirt can be washed and an appliance can be replaced, but not spending time talking to God or those you love is something you will always regret. No matter where life may take us, I want to always remember that now (when life is more simple for us), I could not be happier. My cup is filled every night and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. There is a song by Lonestar that says "But the view I love the most, is my front porch looking in". That's my kind of life.





Snuffy's Malt Shop

Our first Christmas tree!

Love,
Courtni

No comments:

Post a Comment